Denver Immigration Attorney
Abogado de Inmigración de Denver

US Immigration Attorney
Serving All 50 States

Immigration to the US: How to Qualify for the EB-2 “Second Preference” Visa Program

If you hold an advanced degree, have equivalent experience, or possess an exceptional ability, you may be able to qualify to come to the United States for employment through the EB-2 Second Preference visa program. This program was set up to help ensure employers in the US have access to the talent they need to get their work done properly. To qualify for this type of visa you must meet some important criteria.
Qualifying Criteria
In order to qualify you must be able to prove one or more of the following criteria:

  • Academic – You must be able to prove you have a degree, diploma, certificate or other academic award from a college, university, or other educational institution showing your exceptional ability
  • Full Time Experience – Letters from past employers documenting at least ten years of experience in your field
  • Licenses – A license to practice in your profession or occupation
  • Membership – Having a membership in a professional association in your field
  • Recognition – awards or other industry recognition by peers, government entities or professional organizations that show you excel in your field

If you hold other evidence that can show you qualify as an exceptional individual in your field, it can be presented to the USCIS as proof as well. It will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. In most cases you can work with the employer who is offering you employment to identify the best proof of your expertise in this field. Since the employer is looking to hire you, they will likely have already found you to be qualified for the position.
Family of EB-2 Visa
If you have a family, which includes your spouse and any unmarried children under the age of 21, they can come with you to the US as well. They will need to apply for E-21 and E-22 immigrant status. If desired, your spouse can also apply for an Employment Authorization Document so they can work in the country while here.
If you need any assistance with the process, make sure you give us a call and let us guide you. We look forward to helping your immigration dreams come true!

Christine Swenson