Denver Immigration Attorney
Abogado de Inmigración de Denver

US Immigration Attorney
Serving All 50 States

For Family Members

Enter or Stay in the United States Legally

Sponsor a Family Member | Become a Citizen | Pardons

Individual and Family Immigration Matters

Enter or Stay in the United States Legally

Sponsor a Family Member | Become a Citizen | Pardons

Understand the Options

Watch: Do you have a family plan?

Mira: ¿Tiene un plan familiar?

Watch: Why documenting your life in the US is so important

Mira: Por qué documentar tu vida en los Estados Unidos es tan importante

Who can I bring to the United States? Depends on your status.


Michael A.


Christine saved us a lot of headache going through the entire immigration process. The immigration office messed up when they got my son's bio-metric data ...


I called Christine and she was right on top of it. She made a few phone calls and fixed it. We really felt like she had us covered the entire time.


You may be able to sponsor your spouse, parents or children.


There are four categories of family-based immigration visas:


1. US citizens can request (or sponsor) their parents, spouses and unmarried children. For spouses and parents, there is not a long wait. As soon as a request can be processed, your spouse or parent can be with you immediately. Unfortunately, there is a fairly long wait depending on the country in which your children are citizens. Known as "first family-based preference."


2. If you have a green card, you are a legal permanent resident (LPR) and can apply for your spouse and children. LPRs cannot sponsor their parents. Spouses and unmarried children under 21 receive different treatment than unmarried children over 21 years. For the first group (spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21), there is a wait, but as of today, that is only a few years that for immigration is quite good, unfortunately. This is known as "second family-based preference.


3. US citizens also have the ability to sponsor their married children. There is a long wait with this type of family petition, but it is the only way to immigrate to the United States. This is known as "third family-based preference."


4. US citizens can request their siblings. As with the third preference, there is an extraordinary wait. This is known as "fourth family-based preference."

Deportation Defense


The threat of expulsion, or deportation, can be terrifying. The best approach is to contact a qualified lawyer BEFORE having any contact with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).


We will help you understand your rights and make sure you know what information to share with DHS because they will use everything you say against you. In too many cases, immigrants give up their rights because DHS officials say they will help. They will not help you!


You need honest legal advice from an experienced immigration lawyer as soon as possible to protect yourself and your family. Failure to do so can have devastating consequences for you and your loved ones.

Learn more about the defense of deportation.

Preparing for the Worst


If you are in trouble with the Immigration Court, there are specific recommendations we will make to try to make things easier.


Start by contacting us immediately, and be 100% honest about what has happened.


Be Prepared Before ICE Gets Involved Get our Family Plan.


Download this booklet to gather crucial information for your family.

Make sure your family has the information they need.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

What to expect when you work with Swenson Law Office PC

We can help.
Anywhere in the US.